Inclement Weather Information
Scenarios for Bad Weather Days
BE PREPARED. TAKE YOUR LAPTOP OR CHROMEBOOK AND CHARGERS HOME EVERY DAY.
If we have a weather-related delay, dismissal, or cancellation, we will try to make the decision and call as early as possible to allow you maximum time to make alternate plans for your child.
We are prepared for five different scenarios depending on how severe the weather is.
SCENARIO #1: REMOTE LEARNING WITH LIVE CLASSES
Remote Learning will continue as normal. Students and teachers will follow their normal schedules by logging in from home during their regular school hours. Teachers will post their Google Meet links or codes on their Google Classrooms for students to access. Buildings will be closed and staff members will work from home (except for essential personnel).
Students enrolled in the Reading Virtual Academy (RVA) in grades 7-12 will not receive live instruction. They will log in to complete their assignments as they normally do and may schedule virtual office hours with their teachers if needed.
SCENARIO #2: ASYNCHRONOUS REMOTE LEARNING DAY
Teachers will work from home and post asynchronous work for students on their Google Classrooms. Teachers will also be available for virtual office hours at scheduled times throughout the day via a Google Meet link (or joining code) posted on their Google Classrooms. Teachers will adhere to the following schedule:
- Reading High School: Posted by 8:25 a.m. Office Hours: 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 12:00-2:00 p.m.
- Middle Schools: Posted by 9:10 a.m. Office Hours: 10:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. and 12:45-2:45 p.m.
- Elementary Schools & RVA K-6: Posted by 9:00 a.m. Office Hours: 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 12:00-2:00 p.m.
- RVA 7-12 & RKLA: Posted by 10:10 a.m. Office Hours: 10:50 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and 1:30-4:10 p.m.
- RKAA: Posted by 9:50 a.m. Office Hours: 10:55 a.m. - 12:55 p.m. and 1:25-3:25 p.m.
This day will count as a school day under our Flexible Instruction Day plan; therefore, it will NOT need to be made up later in the year.
SCENARIO #3: EARLY DISMISSAL
When students are already at school and inclement weather starts, there may be a need to dismiss students early. Lunch will be served or students will be offered a Grab and Go lunch (depending on availability). All afterschool and co-curricular activities will be canceled.
Dismissal times are as follows:
- Elementary and Kindergarten: 12:15 p.m.
- Pre Kindergarten AM: 10:45 a.m.
- Pre Kindergarten PM: Canceled
- Central Middle: 11:15 a.m.
- SOMS, SWMS, NEMS, NWMS: 11:30 a.m.
- RHS: 10:25 AM
- AM-CTC: Pick up at CTC at 10:00 and dismiss at RHS 10:25
- PM-CTC - Canceled
- RKAA: 12:15
- RVA K-6 Students: Live remote instruction will end at 12:15 p.m.
- RVA/RKLA 7-12 Students: Continue to work virtually. Virtual office hours will be canceled.
SCENARIO #4: TWO HOUR DELAY
Buildings will open at 9 a.m., allowing additional travel time. No breakfast will be served. All afterschool and co-curricular activities will be held.
Student reporting times:
- Reading High School: 9:30 a.m.
- AM-CTC students will report to RHS at 9:30 a.m. to catch the bus and be dismissed from CTC at 10:42. to be transported back to RHS.
- PM-CTC will report to RHS at 9:30 a.m. for their morning classes and will report to CTC from 11:38 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- RKAA: 11:20 a.m. (corrected 1/17/22)
- RVA grades 7-12 and RKLA will follow their normal schedule and onsite tutoring will be provided after 10:00 a.m.
- Middle Schools: 10:25 a.m.
- Elementary Schools, including Kindergarten & K-6 RVA: 10:05 a.m.
- Pre-Kindergarten-AM: 10:05 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
- Pre-Kindergarten-PM: 1:00 p.m. to 2:40 p.m.
SCENARIO #5: FULL CLOSURE
Like a traditional snow day, the school district would be closed. Remote Learning would be canceled, and staff would NOT work (except for essential personnel). Full Closure Days may have to be made up later in the school year. Full closure may be needed on days when severe weather causes loss of power, widespread damage or dangerous conditions.
IMPACT ON DISTRICT SERVICES
District services, such as appointments, enrollments and meal distribution, could be impacted by inclement weather. Staff will do their best to contact families and reschedule any appointments. If weather and/or closures would impact our scheduled meal distributions on a Monday, adjustments would be decided by the Food Services Department and announced by the school district.
How We Share Information
Inclement weather notifications will be available in multiple ways, including:
RSD One-Call Notification System
Includes phone calls and texts
School Class Dojo (K-8)
WFMZ-Channel 69 News
*Please inform the main office at your child's school when your email, home/cell phone number or address changes so we have up-to-date contact information. This is extremely important in case of emergencies and weather notifications.