The Reading School District has entered into a partnership with Alvernia University to offer post-baccalaureate courses to earn an English as a Second Language Program Specialist credential. Alvernia is looking to launch this program in January 2016 with the start of the spring semester. Here are some of the details regarding the program:
- Courses will be taught on Wednesdays from 4-7 at the Reading Intermediate High School by an experienced ESL instructor from the Reading School District
- $50.00 application fee will be waived
- Reduced tuition rates for RSD employees
- Textbooks will be provided at no cost to the students
- Program consists of 5 PDE-approved courses that will meet once a week and will include online work as well as field experience hours that can be completed within the student’s school/classroom
- Credits can be applied toward a Level II teaching certificate
- RSD teachers can submit for tuition reimbursement through the REA collective bargaining agreement
The first step to take in order to get started is to complete the online application which can be found at the following link: https://alvernia.hobsonsradius.com/ssc/aform/G0708EG0708Ex6700kI68L.ssc. When completing the online application please add the following code in the discount code box to waive the $50 application fee: GRAD FEE WAIVER. (Please note that the code is case sensitive and will need to be written in all caps.) As part of our partnership, Alvernia will also waive your 3 letters of recommendation.
For more information about the ESL Program Specialist program at Alvernia, please visit their website at: http://www.alvernia.edu/academics/graduate/education/certs/esl_program_specialist/index.html
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Kelly Burr, Coordinator of Graduate Admissions and Student Services, at 610-796-8266. She is available to assist you through the entire registration process.
Please APPLY NOW! Classes are scheduled to start soon!